tbsp olive oil
garlic clove, crushed/chopped
mild red chilli, thinly sliced (de-seed if you require a milder finish)
260g Denny Meat Free mince
1tbsp tomato puree
Salt and black pepper
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp chilli powder
Pinch of cinnamon powder
½ tbsp soft brown sugar
½ tsp cocoa powder (optional)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
400g red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 red pepper, diced
1 large bunch coriander leaves, roughly chopped
wedge of lime
plain boiled long grain rice
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan with a lid and fry the onion, garlic and red chilli until softened. Increase the heat and add the Denny Meat Free Mince, cooking quickly until browned and breaking down any chunks with a wooden spoon.
- Turn down the heat to low, stir in the tomato puree and cook out for a minute, then add all ground spices (cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked paprika and chilli powder), cook out for a further minute (add a splash of water if the spices start to catch the pan).
- Stir in the kidney beans and diced red pepper.
- Add the brown sugar and cocoa powder, stir in the passata, salt and freshly ground black pepper, bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mixture is rich and thickened.
- Stir through the fresh coriander and cook out for a minute uncovered before removing from the heat, adding any extra seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with rice, guacamole, sour cream and a handful of fresh chopped coriander.