Toad in the hole makes the ultimate comfort dish, particularly when served with piping hot gravy! We think that this meal is the perfect option for those cold Christmas nights to help warm you and your family up!
You Will Need:
- 115g plain flour
- large pinch of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 300ml/½ pint milk
- 2 tbsp/30g fresh thyme leaves
- 8 Denny Gold Medal Jumbo Pork Sausages
- 2 tbsp/30g Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp butter
- For the batter: sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the salt and pepper.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and crack in the eggs. Using a wooden spoon, gradually beat the eggs into the flour then slowly beat in the milk until the batter is a thick consistency.
- Stir in the thyme. Cover and leave to stand for 30 minutes, or ideally 3-4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
- Heat a large non-stick pan and cook the sausages over a medium heat until golden-brown all over. (If you do not have a non-stick pan add a little oil.) Turn off the heat and brush the sausages with the mustard. Set aside.
- Place the butter into an ovenproof dish and heat in the oven for 3 minutes or until the butter is melted and bubbling.
- Add the sausages to the hot dish and pour in the batter. Immediately return the dish to the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes until well-risen and golden-brown.
- Season with black pepper and serve warm with gravy.